Thursday, March 31, 2005

Johann Arndt (1555-1621)

O Thou gracious and gentle and condescending God,
Thou God of peace,
Father of mercy,
God of comfort;
see,
I lament before Thee the evil of my heart;
I acknowledge that I am too much disposed to
anger, jealousy, and revenge,
to ambition and pride,
which often give rise to discord and bitter feelings
between me and others.
Too often have I thus offended and grieved both Thee,
O long-suffering Father,
and my fellow-men.
Oh forgive me this sin,
And suffer me to partake of the blessing
which Thou hast promised to the peacemakers,
who shall be called children of God.
Bestow on me,
O Lord,
a genial spirit and unwearied forbearance;
a mild, loving, patient heart;
kindly looks,
pleasant, cordial speech and manners
in the intercourse of daily life;
that I may give offence to none,
but as much as in me lies live in charity with all men.
Amen

No comments: